AP Scholar Award Levels
Granted to students who receive scores of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams.
AP Scholar with Honor
Granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams.
AP Scholar with Distinction
Granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams.
State AP Scholar
Granted to the one male and one female student in each U.S. state and the District of Columbia with scores of 3 or higher on the greatest number of AP Exams, and then the highest average score (at least 3.5) on all AP Exams taken
National AP Scholar
Granted to students in the United States who receive an average score of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams.
Notes about AP Scholar Awards
- There are two steps to calculating the awards:
- The student's average AP score is determined based on all exams taken this year and in previous years.
- The student's exam scores are checked to see which ones count toward the various AP Scholar Awards.
- A student must meet all criteria to be eligible. For example, a student who has a 3.25 AP score average but only received a 3 or higher on three exams will not receive the AP Scholar with Honor Award because the minimum requirement is a score of 3 or higher on four or more exams.
- Exams taken multiple times only count once; the highest score will be used for the award calculation.
- The Calculus AB subscore, Music Theory aural subscore, and Music Theory nonaural subscore are not used in the AP Scholar Award calculations.
- The AP Scholar Awards are academic distinctions that students may cite among their credentials on applications, resumes, and so on. Students do not receive any monetary award from the College Board.
For the 2011-2012 school year we had eight AP Scholars, five AP Scholars with Honor and six AP Scholars with Distinction. Currently, two juniors (Spencer McCarrey and Alena Smith) are AP Scholars while the rest are part of the class of 2012. Kahuku has more AP Scholars than all but five public high schools in the state.